Free download helpers- not adware

Channel 15:06 26 Feb 05

I installed Download Accelerator plus from the free CD this month, and my Norton Antivirus has recognised it as adware, and suggests uninstalling it.Should I do this ? Or are there free download helpers available that are not adware ? (I realise there must be a price to "pay " for freeware, and am not sure what is acceptable.)I do not download games or music, haven't got Broadband, but I do download programs from time to time, and a program that can resume if the connection fails is vital.

Stuartli 15:19 26 Feb 05

I've used FreshDownload for a number of years (click here) which is ad-free, efficient and will resume downloads either through a connection breakdown or a manual pause.

It's regularly updated, is compatible with Firefox as well as IE and Netscape and is a good all rounder.

However, if you have Firefox, its own download manager will also do Resumes and is equally as efficient as Freshdownload.

I created a FreshDownload folder and have a Desktop shortcut - the benefit is that once something has been installed it can be retained in the folder as a backup and, if required, also burned to a CD-R (multisession mode) or transferred to a memory card/card reader combination for easy portability.

stalion 15:21 26 Feb 05

Fresh download seconded good software and free

Technotiger 15:34 26 Feb 05

Hi, I have been using the free Download Accelerator Plus for some years. I am very happy with it, never given me any problems (unlike Norton) it also has Resume capability for if you get cut-off for any reason part way through a download.

Channel 16:48 26 Feb 05

I did use Fresh Download for some time, but for some reason I began to get corrupted downloads, which stopped when I uninstalled it.This may have been a coincidence,though.Maybe I should stick with DAP and tell Norton to ignore it.

anchor 17:15 26 Feb 05

I have used MetaProducts Download Express for years; no ads or spyware; excellent. Free for private users.

click here

Site is a bit slow today.

anchor 17:20 26 Feb 05

Also available from Tucows:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…