Free diagnostic programs...help please, thanks

bof:) 18:10 30 Mar 06

Hi All, I'm off to try and help a friends dad of mine who has been having PC problems.

Problem: random shutdowns.

Gets an error message saying winXP has shut down does he wish to send off error report? He sent report off and had a reply saying shutdown could be due to MB/ Memory/ HD/ Powersupply/ CPU failure.

Is there a free diagnostic tool or collection of them that would let me check out his PC for him?

I've downloaded memtest and will have a look to see what make his HD is and get the test program from the makers website assuming his pc doesnt crash 1st.

As he lives some distance away, I'd like to be able to take as much stuff as I can to try and sort this out for him in the 1st go (yes I know this is probably wishful thinking :-)).

Any thoughtd to lead me in the right direction will be appreciated.

He is using XP-home sp2

Thanks for any help and advice, mike

smy13 19:32 30 Mar 06

click here

don't know if this is any good to you the 'lite' version is free and allows you to bench mark components although you would need to upgrade to use the test modules

bluesbrother 19:48 30 Mar 06

Techie'z Toolkit click here You will need to use Azureus click here and some patience, but its worth the wait.

bof:) 21:46 30 Mar 06

Hi All, many thanks for your help.

Mike

bof:) 08:32 31 Mar 06

bump

Belatucadrus 10:18 31 Mar 06

click here Not the most comprehensive fixit software available, but not bad for a freebie.

rawprawn 11:13 31 Mar 06

click here altough Everest has stopped doing the free one, you can download it here.

bof:) 20:53 01 Apr 06

Hi Belatucadrus & rawprawn, many thanks for the websites. I've downloaded them to laptop and I'll transfer them to the pc in question.

many thanks again, Mike

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Nearly Normal created super-fun papercraft for Google

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos