Free Demographic mapping software wanted

Phil Ocifer 14:51 PM 14 Nov 12
Answered

I think I would like to have a play with some demographic mapping software. Here's the scenario:

I have a list of several thousand customer postcodes and I would like to chart the population onto a map of the local area - something like you see in atlases where the population is coloured one colour and the countryside is another colour. There could be varying depths of colour for greater population density.

Does anybody know of any free software out there that might do this please? I need free because although I'm a business I'm limited with funds and just basically having a play really.

Online would do - i.e I mean I upload the postcode file and it does it for me.

I've had a scout around on google but not really sure what I'm looking for or where to look for the free stuff (if there is any)

Thanks in advance if you can assist.

Cheers Phil

northumbria61 15:03 PM 14 Nov 12
  northumbria61 15:08 PM 14 Nov 12

Anything here to help? enter link description here

Phil Ocifer 15:19 PM 14 Nov 12
Answer

Thanks northumbria61

I've already googled extensively and most of the results want to GIVE you demographic information rather than let you create your own analysis.

To be honest, I've just had a quick scan of your links and will examine in greater detail later.

Anyone else please?

Thx

northumbria61 15:25 PM 14 Nov 12

Phil - that 2nd link does say - Create your own GIS maps without the expense of commercial GIS software - middle column just down from the top - hope this helps. I know nothing about this subject so can't advise any further.

rnswa 04:30 AM 15 Nov 12

Check out www.depiction.com. Its not free but they offer a 30 day free trial. You can colorize shapes based on tabular data.

northumbria61 10:49 AM 15 Nov 12

Phil - here's the LINK

northumbria61 10:49 AM 15 Nov 12
  northumbria61 10:51 AM 15 Nov 12

Will have another try - enter link description here

Phil Ocifer 19:55 PM 15 Nov 12

Thanks northumbria61. I downloaded the Depiction manual this afternoon and had a quick sneaky look. It explains all the concepts in simple language. I may just have a download and a 30 day trial.

Some of the other software on the first couple of links looked a bit amateur and almost "shareware-ish" in their documentation.

I will close this for now as I'm away for a few days.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions. Phil

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

OS X Yosemite vs Windows 10: The Mac and PC operating systems go head to head UPDATED