Free data backup software

Laser157 09:01 31 Oct 04

I use a second HDD as my main backup. Both my HDDs have seperate partitions for OS/Programs (C drive) and data. I have a backup copy of my C drive created using the Seagate copy utility.

However to copy the data to backup I simply over-write the old backup with the current data. Most of this data has not changed and I am looking for a simple utility which only copies changed files.

Has anyone got any recommendations for this? - preferably a freebie.

GANDALF <|:-)> 09:14 31 Oct 04
  Diodorus Siculus 09:28 31 Oct 04

Google will throw up many but I prefer a personal recommeendation: try either Karen's replicator from click here or Cobian from click here

Laser157 10:02 31 Oct 04

Many thanks for the above responses - quite a lot there for me to look at. As Diodorus Siculus says, it's helpful to have feedback on personal experience using this type of program, so I will leave the thread open a bit longer. The link to Karenware didn't work for me though.

Clint2 10:42 31 Oct 04

I use the free version of click here

Laser157 20:53 31 Oct 04

Thanks Clint2. Version Backup looks promising -as do some of those in the links mentioned before!

Has anyone tried Syncback?

See: click here

You could also take a look at Replicator by Karen Kenworthy. There are also plenty of other useful progs in her Powertools list - all free.

click here

Laser157 22:14 31 Oct 04

Thanks - Karenware link is now working (it wasn't earlier on)

Laser157 17:45 28 Nov 04

Postscript for information.

Just to let you know I have been using Karen's Replicator for the last few weeks and it is just what I was looking for. Thanks again for the replies.

xquest 10:55 05 Jan 05

I've just read the postings on free backup software and have installed Karen's Replicator. This seems nice and simple. Just one query - it doesn't (I think) automatically start at the scheduled time. Should I add it to the start menu ? Or have I missed an option somewhere ?

Laser157 09:07 06 Jan 05

Hi xquest

I seem to remember that this was an option when installing, but I could be wrong. I think the only way to start it when booting now is to drag the program (the file with the red icon) to the Windows/Start Menu/Programs/StartUp folder, which is what you have suggested. This path is for Win ME but I guess it's similar for XP.

Personally I am happy to start it manually when it suits me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017