Free Broad Band

woodchip 17:11 17 Apr 06

As anybody Joined the Carphone Warehouse deal for Free BB and Phone Calls. £20.99 a month and includes Standing Charge for phone line. No need to pay BT rental. All Speeds depending on what your line supports. But I forgot to ask does it have a Cap?

johnnyrocker 17:17 17 Apr 06

40 gig at busy times according to the talk talk site.

johnny.

huzzar 17:36 17 Apr 06

Sounds too good to be true, I believe there is an 18 month contract. Recon others will follow and try to beat it. (I hope)

colberly 17:41 17 Apr 06

I could be wrong but I think the free phonecalls are only to other talk talk users.

spuds 17:43 17 Apr 06

Wait until the other ISP's promotions start ;O).

Stuartli 17:51 17 Apr 06

>>I could be wrong >>

Yes...:-)

The actual offer is:

# Inclusive calls between all TalkTalk customers

# Inclusive and unlimited anytime local and national UK landline calls

# Inclusive and unlimited international calls to 28 countries

I've joined but it will be a little while before being connected - due to the remarkable takeup of what appears to be very good value.

Forum Editor 18:01 17 Apr 06

that in our current online poll, only just over 10% of the 776 people who have responded have signed up, or are contemplating signing. A massive 44.8% are going to wait to see what happens.

What I think will happen is that initially large numbers of people will be attracted by the 'free broadband for life' advertising, and will sign up for the 18 month contract. It remains to be seen whether CPW can sustain the service in the light of a predicted 1st year loss of £50 million, or thereabouts. The mobile phone business is in the doldrums, and companies like CPW must look elsewhere for revenue streams if they are to survive. I admire their bold initiative, and wish them and their customers well. Only time is going to tell if this has been a shrewd business move, or if CPW will regret their decision, two years down the line. The testing time is going to be in 18 months, when that initial flush of early adopters decide whether to renew their contracts.

Stuartli 18:07 17 Apr 06

Actually, as much as the "free" BB, it was the phone package offer at £9.99 that greatly appealed - the £11 line rental is paid by TalkTalk to BT on your behalf.

As it charges less for line rental (I'm currently with One.Tel) normally, I assume it will gain a pound or two from each line rental it takes over.

However, I've preferred to pay my line rental separately to BT until now.

Stuartli 18:09 17 Apr 06

The 40GB is the cap per month - that's probably about the same as I currently use in three or four months...:-)

Stuartli 18:10 17 Apr 06

If anyone has any need to look further into the TalkTalk offer, it's all explained in detail at:

click here

961 18:18 17 Apr 06

I think for those in the country where 512 is the max speed we are ever likely to get and local loop unbundling is out of the question the £30 connection charge and the 18 month contract are major negatives

If the existing broadband service is good and reasonably priced then I think there is a lot to be said for staying put

I also wonder just how transfers from the new unbundled local loop will work in practise because I guess the current transfer system within so many days will not apply

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…