Free backup/image software.

bda72 18:30 01 Mar 03

Well not free but for the price of a magazine, PC Answers(sorry PC Advisor). It's a complete copy of Acronis TrueImage Deluxe v5 and seems like a breeze to use although I have only done a backup so far and not a recovery.
I have just built a computer for a friend and after seeing this mag today I stuck the software on the new system and took an image of the hard drive which only had winXP, Office 2000 small business and another few apps and it easily fitted on 2 cd's and it was straight forward to make a boot CD to start the recovery proccess after a disaster.
Now I doubt this software is near the market leader but if like me you have always ment to Ghost or similar but never got round to it then it seems like a good buy.

p.s. I have used the Acronis partitioning software with great success and that came free too.

zanwalk 19:04 01 Mar 03

Thanks for the tip, it will be interesting to compare.

Stephanie 19:24 01 Mar 03

I used Acronis True Image to back up my system partition and then restored it using the boot CD and it worked fine.Two things I found
1. It is very slow compared to Ghost.
2. My mouse didn't work when I was restoring from the boot disk although the pointer appeared so I had to use the keyboard, which required a bit of head scratching!

bda72 19:28 01 Mar 03

Is it a USB mouse? I had that problem with there partition software which was fixed by the free mouse that came with my new keyboard, i just leave it plugged in the back and only use it with acronis.

Stephanie 11:57 02 Mar 03

My mouse is PS2 so that's not the problem.

bda72 22:24 02 Mar 03

Sorry Steph I have no idea then(as usual).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…