free backup program for vista

chrisjohn 14:23 PM 15 Nov 12

ok this is what i want to do if possible i want to restore my pc to factory settings ....but is their a free backup program that will copy all my settings programs to a external hard drive so once pc is restored i can put everything back if possible thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:41 PM 15 Nov 12
  1. you can copy everything as is but that negates the advantage of a factory restore

2. you can back up all your data (vista has a windows backup incorporated in it)

however you cannot backup your programs other than 1. above

if you do a factory restore you will need hen to delete all the preinstalled junk and then reinstall any programs you have added to the laptop.

Why do you want to do a factory restore?

chrisjohn 15:54 PM 15 Nov 12

pc keeps freezing and crashing so i thought lets start afresh ,thnks for reply.

chrisjohn 15:58 PM 15 Nov 12

i also installed a program about 12 months ago which was a bit like ccleaner but it messed all my pc up i have put up with it for 12 months but decided to start again.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:16 PM 15 Nov 12

Couple of things to try:

1. Search - type

sfc /scannow

press ok

let windows find and replace missing corrupt windows system files.

1. try a vista upgrade over existing system to attempt a repair of vista see here
  chrisjohn 16:31 PM 15 Nov 12

thanks but i dont have a vista cd,

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:49 PM 15 Nov 12

sfc should work from your preinstalled system .

chrisjohn 17:04 PM 15 Nov 12

ok sfc found system 32 files corupt and unable to repair them ,whats next step?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:55 PM 15 Nov 12

If the System File Checker tool cannot repair a file, follow these steps:

At an elevated command prompt, copy and then paste (or type) the following command, and then press ENTER:

takeown /f PathAndFile_Name

For example, type takeown /f E:\windows\system32\jscript.dll. Copy and paste (or type) the following command, and then press ENTER to grant administrators full access to the file:

For example, type icacls E:\windows\system32\jscript.dll /grant administrators:F.

Copy and paste (or type the following command to replace the file with a known good copy of the file:

Copy PathAndFileNameOfSourceFile PathAndFileNameOf_Destination For example, type copy E:\temp\jscript.dll E:\windows\system32\jscript.dll.

so you need to list the corrupt files and see if you can copy them from a good machine or borrow a vista DVD.

lotvic 17:59 PM 15 Nov 12

I think the official MS Vista download links are still viable. You can download direct from links on page. (no forms to fill in or anything)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:03 PM 15 Nov 12

vista iso you can download and burn to disc

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Android apps 2015/2016: Best apps for your new phone or tablet - what apps should I download?

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Uniqlo uses your brain waves to find your perfect T-shirt

What everyone thinks of the new Steve Jobs movie | 21 Facts about the Steve Jobs film | PLUS:…