Free AVG8

Curio 15:14 28 Apr 08

Last night I upgraded to this latest edition from 7.5. Had problems on first install in that it kept hanging up on the update part of the install. Eventually skipped that and finally installed it some time later. Access to emails failed. Only way round it appeared to be closing down the email scanner. Tried a reinstall to clear the problem but then nothing worked. Tried to reinstall 7.5 and that failed as well. Uninstalled everything I could find re AVG, rebooted and tried again. Now back with AVG8 installed but no scanning of emails possible. Had to deactivate it again to receive. Anyone else had a similar problem? Would like to get back email scanning!

GaT7 15:42 28 Apr 08

First try a System Restore to a point before you uninstalled 7.5 & installed 8.

Then shut down any running programs (incl 7.5's running modules in Task Manager), & try the install again. I installed 8 over 7.5, & it uninstalled the previous version in the process.

A few years ago (when I first began using AVG), I coudn't get the email scanner to work no matter what I did. AVG released a new version some months later & it started to work. Let's hope it's not one of those! G

pj123 15:49 28 Apr 08

As far as I know AVG 8 is not free!

Check out this thread:

click here

I gave it a try but I got a dialogue asking for $39.99.

Stay with 7.5.

pj123 15:54 28 Apr 08

Just checked it out again.

The download is free but to use the program you have to pay £39.99 (not $39.99) but GB Pounds 39.99.

click here

Curio 15:58 28 Apr 08

I set a Restore Point before starting this update. I had already uninstalled 7.5. Thought I had done it right!

sinbads 15:59 28 Apr 08

avg is free click here

beeuuem 16:32 28 Apr 08

Or from the horses mouth click here

kdt 17:21 28 Apr 08

personally I use Avast automatic updates no hassle.

pj123 17:23 28 Apr 08

Thanks, sinbads and beeuuem.

No, I have tried it and it still keeps saying download the trial.

AVG 8 is not free.

GaT7 17:29 28 Apr 08

pj123, AVG 8 (antivirus only) is FREE click here. G

MAT ALAN 17:54 28 Apr 08

I have used AVG for some time, upgraded to 8.0, OK to start but PC got buggy just a few small tweeks but enough to put me off, uninstalled and am now trying Avast for the first time, have to say not too shabby...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…