Free AV @home

lenc 14:48 16 Oct 03

For some time I've been using Grisoft's AVG Free version 6 for Home use only. I've just discovered an alternative, free for Home use, from Avast. Coincidentally?, both companies appear to be Czech. Anyone have any comments on the relative merits of these products?

johnnyrocker 14:50 16 Oct 03

i have used avg for some considerable time and found it pretty good with regular updates.

johnny.

Bruce_Lee 15:07 16 Oct 03

I tried to install Avast anti virus on three systems and on two of them (running Win 98) it would not install. I have not encountered any problems installing AVG anti virus.
The only problem I have had with AVG was that it missed a Worm (with the latest update at the time) that I had in a downloaded file. Trend Micro's free Housecall service picked up the worm and fixed the problem.

Bruce_Lee 15:22 16 Oct 03

click here

Several other companies offer a similar service (such as Symantec), but this is the best I have found so far.

HTH

Taw 15:30 16 Oct 03

Having used AVG for over 4years I have no compaliants. I have seen Avast also recommended on this site and it sounds as if they both have their merits. Everyone will give their own views good and bad but my motto has been It works for me why change it

I run Avast on all my home PC's and have not had any problems with it, (Win95/98/98SE).

The new version 4 is a good improvement over Avast32, with auto-updates for the virus database and the program itself.

Simple & easy to use, I fully recommend it.

Taw 15:31 16 Oct 03

no complaints apart from my spelling!!!! Anyone know a spell checker that works with netscape? I have the explorer one

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…