Free antivirus software...

andy@ 14:57 16 Oct 06

Is free antivirus software any good; and is the firewall XP apparently has sufficient? Or...would I be better off with Norton etc...?

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Andy

mattyc_92 15:07 16 Oct 06

FireWall:
Zonealarm Free Edition - click here

Anti-Virus (choose only one):
Avast! Home Edition - click here
AVG Free Edition - click here

john-232317 15:08 16 Oct 06

AVG free is excellent, also Grisoft have bought Ewido and its now called AVG anti spyware and is also very good. I run XP firewall and have never had problems, although my router is firewalled too.
click here

rawprawn 15:09 16 Oct 06

Windows firewall is not enough, for free protection (Firewall) get Zone Alarm and for free antivirus get Avast

Jimmy14 15:14 16 Oct 06

Norton Internet Security 2007 is supposed to be excellent and just after the recommendations of this very magazine (PC ADVISOR). Refer to my previous thread regarding Norton,
click here

andy@ 15:55 16 Oct 06

Thanks all - I'll check out the links.

Andy

rômanab 16:24 16 Oct 06

click here Uses the KAV (Kaspersky) scanning engine is a real top performer.

rômanab 16:24 16 Oct 06

Should read...

Uses the KAV (Kaspersky) scanning engine so is a real top performer.

Miros 17:55 16 Oct 06

I think the new version of Ewido now called AVG anti spyware is only a trial version,at least that's what mine says downloaded yesterday!

Just done a re install maybe I should try and reinstall my old version of Ewido from my back up copy.

gartoye 19:03 16 Oct 06

Well I used to run AVG until I read a review on The best of the free antivrus programs in this sites mag (august i think). It said AVG was ok but the clunky interface revealed how old the software actually is. Top of the heap was Avira Antivi, which I promptly stuck on my machine. Does the job, looks a bit more modern than AVG (you get a little Brolly) but I didnt have any probs with AVG at all, I just do what the people at PC advisor say. Hope this helps.

windy75 21:17 16 Oct 06

yes avg is agood one that is free,i had purchased virus software but find avg much better

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant