Free Anti Virus software

Glen 23:16 28 May 09

I would appreciate advice regarding three freebies, namely AVG Free, Avast, and the recent trial offer of PC Tools av programs. Are they comparable. All are mentioned in PCA mag. Which is best?

Glen

AL47 23:20 28 May 09

dunno bout last one,

i recently ditched avg for avast

why?
although i found with avg i never got a problem, when opening big files my computer would shoot to 100% cpu for a time, [avg may have been scanning it]

took a long time to figure out it was avg, i only realised when i switched and it didnt happen, thats my only issue with it

i think alot here prefer avast now,

as said, ive been running free AV for years, never had a problem, even using p2p sites and bittorrents like i used too.

provider 2 23:25 28 May 09

Quite a long read but this will tell you most of what you need to know and further info in the panel on the left (Avast 4.8 Home Free): click here

RobCharles1981 23:33 28 May 09

Glen

This has been answered hundereds of times on a daily baises. Next time try using the

"Search Forum" Box at the top and type your question in there.

click here

birdface 23:44 28 May 09

I am surprised that Avira never got a mention.It is getting very popular.

RobCharles1981 23:50 28 May 09

I like Avira too its very good. I'm going to stick with that.

DieSse 00:14 29 May 09

I rate Avira top of the freebies currently - with AVG a distant third (in fact I recommend not to choose it).

Another promising free package is the Comodo Internet Security Suite, which includes AV and Firewall.

AL47 00:17 29 May 09

i really didnt get on well with comoo firewall, so glad somone put a link up for a ZA version that worked with vista

Belatucadrus 02:19 29 May 09

If anybody wants to try a somewhat left field option, Panda have released the Beta of their new Cloud AntiVirus click here
My preference is still avast!, but it's something else to try if you're feeling adventurous.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Samsung Galaxy Book review: Hands-on with Samsung’s high-end hybrid

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is probably one of the best bank ads we’ve seen

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple