Free Anti Virus Software

Guady 15:48 21 Jun 06

Can anyone recommend a good, reliable, easy-to-use AntiVirus program, please?
I have used Norton (2002) for a number of years but it has just started to misbehave! I have been trying to get the latest Definitions - as well as setting it to automatically update, I always manually Update as well (I'm a bit obsessed!) But it is telling me that I have the latest definitions but these are dated 14 June which is now a week ago and I can't believe there are no newer ones. My annual Norton sub expires at the beginning of Aug - so I thought I'd try one of the free programs. But advice on which to try would be appreciated. I am still on dial up connection and run Windows XP home.
Many thanks

mattyc_92 15:50 21 Jun 06

Avast! is good and is very easy to use.... click here
The file is around 10Megs, so you may be there for a while

Can't really help you with Norton, as I can't stand it anymore. Too much of a resource hog, never found viruses that I knew were there, etc...

mattyc_92 15:51 21 Jun 06

Link to free avast!: click here

BigAl127 15:53 21 Jun 06

Also worth a look is AVG Free

click here

mattyc_92 15:57 21 Jun 06

Forgot to say, that "A-Squared" is a good tool to use ontop of whatever Anti-Virus tool you decide to use....

It's 3.5MB click here

AP22 15:59 21 Jun 06

Worth looking at Microsoft's Windows Defender also.

Allyginger 16:11 21 Jun 06

Look at this site for downloading Norton Definitions.
click here

Also look at the intelligent updater.It tells you how to use this manually.

medicine hat 16:17 21 Jun 06

Avast is regularly on the mag's cover disk

Singerz 16:22 21 Jun 06

Hello

I have been trying to find a way to lock files so you can only open them with a password.

XP does not let you do this but I'm aware there are utilities out there that can do it.

I wonder if anyone could point me in the right direction and let me know if there is any free downloadable software that people have experience of using.

Thanks.

Belatucadrus 18:01 21 Jun 06

click here Plenty of security software here including file encrypters.

PS don't tag onto other peoples threads,start your own. Hijacking is frowned upon, as the original poster gets e-mails advising them when an answer is posted. Not something they'll care to receive when the answer is to your query not theirs.

Fellsider 18:09 21 Jun 06

^^^^

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…