free anti-virus needed

ZeBeDee001 17:07 14 Oct 03

i have just found out that my pc had been infected with the following viruses. troj banan.a,pe spaces.1445(twice) and bkdr 711.a.
i have installed a 30 day free trial of pc-cillin 2003 and have now cleaned up my system.
could anybody help me to find a free anti-virus to d/load to prevent this happening again, it needs to be compaible with windows xp home, i've heard that norton anti-viruses don't go down to well with xp.

Grisoft's AVG is usually considereed a reliable free AV program, but I would have to disagree with what you've heard about norton and XP. (it just makes a bigger hole in your pocket)

johnnyrocker 17:13 14 Oct 03

click here free to european users, i trust you disabled system restore while cleansing? you can also find a free trojan spy bot remover at click here.

Belatucadrus 17:19 14 Oct 03

Alwils avast4 ! click here This has the best results on the Virus Bulletin tests click here for any free anti virus. The scan scheduler is disabled, but you can set it to scan during screensaver, updates are incremental and fully automatic. Highly recommended.
Grisofts AVG 6.0 click here currently has Virus bulletin 100% click here but pass history not as good as avast. Used to be included on PCA cover disks, so is most common option used here, has equally vociferous supporters and detractors. Current commercial version is AVG 7.0. In my opinion 6.0 is beginning to creak a bit, but still a sound product.
H+BEDVs Antivir click here has never passed the Virus bulletin tests click here. No limitations to functionality and has support via Antivir forum. Not the easiest program to set up, with slow scan and large update downloads. Functional but not my first choice.

pj123 17:58 14 Oct 03

Well covered, so no more comment.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…