free anti virus

bigduvat 11:54 04 Jun 09

when my Norton protection on my laptop (vista home premium)went out of date,I downloaded "Avast" to protect my pc-but it blocked my internet access.Is there a protection will allow access to my pc?

Clapton is God 12:11 04 Jun 09

"Is there a protection will allow access to my pc"

Yes, Avast.

Did you un-install Norton before installing Avast?

bigduvat 12:22 04 Jun 09

Norton was uninstalled firstly!

Clapton is God 12:26 04 Jun 09

OK. You need to check your settings in Avast to ensure that you haven't accidentally ticked something to block web pages.

I've used Avast for many, many years and never heard of this before.

bigduvat 13:50 04 Jun 09

I don't know what I've done to my laptop-but when I tried to download and install avast again,I kept getting the statement saying "there was an error while completing the process" and in the box below

View setup log

tullie 14:29 04 Jun 09

Use the norton uninstall tool to make sure everything has gone.
I too have used Avast for years without adjusting settings and found it very good.

bigduvat 14:42 04 Jun 09

I am now quietly panicking!!-I tried downloading and installing AVG and it says I have no protection as it is out of date (can not install updates as I no longer have internet access while it's installed)-this condition was the same as with Avast. What am I doing wrong?

Clapton is God 14:57 04 Jun 09

Do as tullie says and run the Norton uninstall tool.

Then download, install and run click here to clean out any leftovers from Avast.

Exactly what messages are you getting which say you can't connect to the internet??

mark2 21:14 04 Jun 09

Could it be to do with the proxy settings in IE I've just dealt with similar problem, "unable to connect to server" error 501

you could have a look here to check your proxy settings are correct

mark2 21:15 04 Jun 09

the link would help I think click here

bigduvat 21:50 04 Jun 09

I eventually got round to downloading the Norton removal tool-after that every thing was OK.
Thanks to everyone for their kind advice

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…