Free anti-virus

willnewcastle 21:33 14 Oct 08

I'm with Norton at the moment, my subscription is running out in a couple of weeks time. I was told that some free anti-virus programes are as good as Norton, and they dont take up as much space as Norton. Can anybody please advice me on which ones are good. I was also told that I would need to run a special programe to remove Norton from my PC, can I get a link for that programe please?

Technotiger 21:39 14 Oct 08

click here

click here for AVG Free anti-virus.

Totally-braindead 21:39 14 Oct 08

AVAST or AVG the free versions, link to Norton removal tool click here

woodchip 21:41 14 Oct 08

I use Free Avast on four computers XP click here

mocha 21:55 14 Oct 08

Hi willnewcastle

Here are three of the most popular Free Anti Virus programs.

Avast Home Edition
AVG 8 Free
Avira Anti Virus

Make sure if you are removing Norton that you also have a Firewall installed as well as an antivirus program.

You will also need Anti spyware programs to keep your computer safe. Check this site out for all your needs. click here

Here is the Norton removal Tool
click here

Good Luck.

DieSse 22:12 14 Oct 08

Look very carefully at free versions of AV programs. They often miss out important checks that the paid versions have.

Avira and AVG seem particularly poor in that respect to me.

click here

click here

Avast free looks better specified

click here

For top grade protection, with very light performance impact try NOD32. (free trial)

skidzy 22:14 14 Oct 08

Some options for you Will click here

T I M B O 22:15 14 Oct 08

You got all the links you need here for a good free antivirus. AVG has been a trusted antivirus for many years but the new AVG 8 is a tad sluggish byt the advast seems to work very well.

Stuartli 22:41 14 Oct 08

Avast! does all that is required.

If you do install it, when registering ensure that you tick the box that it will be for home use, otherwise you won't get the e-mail containing the registration code allowing its extension beyond 60 days...:-)

Stuartli 22:42 14 Oct 08

One of the key features of Avast! is that it updates its definitions automatically and indicates it has done so with a voice message and written version.

T I M B O 22:48 14 Oct 08

Not actually sure if these antivirus programs come with a file wall or not, maybe somebody will say here, but if not then try this firewall, it's totally free and comes highly recommended > click here

Best of luck............

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now