Free Anti-Virus

onthebog 15:23 26 Oct 06

Are there any freeware anti-virus applications as good as their commercial counterparts, or are there compromises being made?

RobCharles1981 15:28 26 Oct 06

Free antivirus

AVG
Avast

click here

Belatucadrus 15:35 26 Oct 06

click here What compromises there are made in avast! & AVG are in the loss of advanced control features that you don't need. The protection offered is identical to the commercial versions.
The exception to this rule is BitDefender free that's been gutted and is well worth ignoring.

TicTacToc 16:37 26 Oct 06

From what I've read the only AV worth paying for over the free veresions is something called NOD32.

I use AVG Free and in 2 years haven't had a problem with a virus. Yet. *touches wood* :D

bjh 17:04 26 Oct 06

This is meant to be good

click here

Cut-down version of Kaspersky, which is one of the best pay av solutions, but this is a free version.

Personally, I think the paid for versions have a slight edge but that kind of comment normally raises a hornet's nest. I do run a largish home network, do work from home quite often, and would pay heavily for "time down"

IF you add Zone Alarm, Spy Sweeper, and Spybot Search & Destroy (Poss Windows Defender) to that lot, you are likely to be more secure than most.

Batch 17:10 26 Oct 06

Other things with free versions tend to be

- No support service (although with AVG, at least, there is a forum). Most people don't find this an issue.

- The updates releases are supposedly given a slightly lower priority. Although with AVG there seems to be an update pretty much every day and I can't believe it's far behind the paid for version, if at all, in practice.

Belatucadrus 17:59 26 Oct 06

Fortunately not true, avast! always offered e-mail support on the free version and I believe AVG have followed this example, though I'm not absolutely sure about this. Phone support comes with the Pro versions

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…