Free anti spyware and vius Help Please.

MeandHer 12:36 11 Apr 07

I want to set up my new desktop windows xp sp2,
which will be on AOL Silver Broadband with a good free anti spyware and virus programe.
I have been informed that running 2 spyware or virus programes can clash with each other.
And that you need one to scan and one to moniter all the time in back ground.
Or should i just get A internet suite security.
Any advice greatly accepted.
THANKS.

provider 2 12:49 11 Apr 07

Avast! is very popular; has good tech. support, automatic updates, alternative skins, and an active user forum. click here

provider 2 12:52 11 Apr 07

SuperAntispyware is good but you will have to update manually if you use the free edition. click here

johndrew 15:35 11 Apr 07

If you read the penultimate post on this thread click here you will find some excellent advice on security given to me.

isca2 15:49 11 Apr 07

Running more than one Anti Virus program is not recommended and will cause problems but you can normally run more than one Anti Spyware program and manyn of us do so. You do not say if you want free versions or are prepared to pay, so let us know so that we can respond on this.

provider 2 16:16 11 Apr 07

Forgot to mention that the McAfee Personal Firewall that comes free with AOL Broadband is pretty effective even though it is quite an old version: click here

skidzy 20:32 11 Apr 07
  MeandHer 00:29 12 Apr 07

Thanks to everyone for your help.

squillary 17:39 16 Apr 07

If you click here you can read some comments on the quality of free AVs in the editorial.

A glance down at section 2.1 ought to disabuse anyone of using SuperAntiSpyware. It seems to be completely useless on almost every measurable level. Plague like avoid the. Rearrange into a popular phrase...

I wouldn't use ad hoc software that may or may not work together. I'd go for a Suite.

provider 2 22:47 16 Apr 07

SuperAntispyware completely useless? Most of these reviewers would not agree with you. click here

provider 2 23:39 16 Apr 07

Or these: click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos