A free alternative to OpenOffice

Belatucadrus 16:53 20 Aug 10
Answered

Found this freebie that may be of some interest to anybody in need of a free office suite. Softmaker Office 2006 click here is a relatively lightweight offering having only a word processor and spreadsheet but it seems quite civilised and quick to load. Provided by SoftMaker Software GmbH In Nuremberg, they clearly would like you to register it, but the nag screen has an opt out tick box and making it go away is dead easy and registration can thus be circumvented. On the down side the templates provide are rather simplistic.
If you don't need a database and presentation software could be worth a look.

Pineman100 17:04 20 Aug 10

I'm not sure why you would need a free alternative to Open Office, when Open Office is free.

woodchip 17:23 20 Aug 10
Answer

He as shown it as it does not come with BIG BOOTS. Quick and light on disc space. If that's all you need why load anything more

Belatucadrus 17:24 20 Aug 10

Strange as it may seem there are some people who have had problems with it or just plain don't like it. I've been using Star and Open office in various iterations for years but as in many things like to have a choice.
Now there is one.

Does it have the same compatibility with MS Office that OOo does? That's the crunch!

dms_05 10:11 21 Aug 10

click here to answer your questions.

Belatucadrus 10:40 21 Aug 10

I said "If you don't need a database" seems it's got one but it's incorporated as a function of Textmaker under the Extras section on the Menubar, not as a distinct program. Definitely not Access but it's there if you need it.

Belatucadrus 21:18 23 Aug 10

Bump & close.

Belatucadrus 13:46 27 Jul 11

Just a note to say that they've updated the free version, it's now SoftMaker Office 2008 instead of 2006 as originally posted.

cocteau48 15:05 27 Jul 11

Another freebie that may be worth looking at link text

octal 18:33 27 Jul 11

There seems to be quite a crop of these office suits, I have just recently switched to LibreOffice recently from Open Office as the support for that seems to have ended since Conical have taken it over.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now