Free Advert Blocker?

mattyc_92 17:54 20 Sep 05

Hi, I have got rid of Norton IS 2005 and replaced it with Avast and ZoneAlarm.

The only things I haven't replaced is a parental control (which I am not really bothered about) and a "ad blocker" (as in banners like this site has).

Can anyone recommened a decent free ad blocker?

As usual, thanks in advance

VoG II 17:56 20 Sep 05

If you use Firefox, Adblock click here

mattyc_92 17:59 20 Sep 05

Cheers VoG™, but I sometimes use IE as some sites still don't allow you to use firefox (not many though).

Any others? (I will keep that one in mind VoG™)

GaT7 18:16 20 Sep 05

mattyc_92, try a free Hosts file based ad-blocker click here.

I used NIS2003 in the past & it was excellent at blocking ads. NIS2005 must've been just as good if not better, so I can understand if you miss it - I do.G

mattyc_92 18:29 20 Sep 05

Thanks Crossbow7, but I don't really want to mess around with the host files (already have a headache from work). Yes, I do miss NIS2005 sometimes, but it is a resource hog and never detected viruses I knew I had.

Any others?

GaT7 18:38 20 Sep 05

A few free ones to choose from click here.

Actually, I found the NAV part of NIS that really slowed things down. Only a few months ago I was using it in Win98se (384Mb RAM). I removed NAV & left the rest of NIS - on doing this it seemed like my PC was running 2-3 times faster. G

mattyc_92 18:40 20 Sep 05

Cheers... I will try some of them...

Thanks for your time and help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…