Frames in Dreamweaver

Mysticnas 08:49 24 Nov 05

Hi all,

I've made a page using fames (header). This is so the top header is still visible when i scroll down the rest of the page.

However, when i click into a link from this page the header stays there. How can i get it to not?

AndySD 09:59 24 Nov 05

click here and have a look at forum members post. Try not to use frames if you can.

Mysticnas 10:13 24 Nov 05

is that i can't change it as it's a site already in use made by someone else, just like a lot of things where i work.

But anyway... So does anyone know how to do it? What code am i meant to be looking for?

AndySD 10:56 24 Nov 05

Is it already on the web? If so can you post a link so we an see the coding.

Mysticnas 11:48 24 Nov 05

It's an intranet thing.

I'm not making this any easier am i? :o(

AndySD 12:54 24 Nov 05

Without seeing the code its a bit difficult. Have you tried opening the links in a new page (Target = Blank)

Mysticnas 14:13 24 Nov 05

They're not allowed to be in a new page.

Has to be same page so the user can press back.

Not my rules, sorry. :o(

PurplePenny 15:27 24 Nov 05

If you have to use a house style look at some of the other pages on the intranet, do any of them do what you want to do?

Taran 17:27 24 Nov 05

If I understand this right, you have a top and bottom frame and on clicking a hyperlink you want whatever page the link leads to to load into the same browser window without opening a new window.

You can do this in a couple of ways.

Easy and pretty effective is to add target="_parent" into the hyperlink code. This should load the target page into the parent window and replace whatever is in it, even a full frameset.

Better again is to give your browser instance a name and target the named window in the hyperlink, which is usually a very solid way to deal with this issue.

Of course if this isn't what you want I should learn to read the question...

Taran 17:33 24 Nov 05

Perhaps I should expand slightly (in the hopes I'm barking up the right tree).

Create three web page files.

Call them frameset.html top.html and bottom.html just for the sake of example.

Add this code into your frameset.html page - you'll know where it goes (be sure to delete/overwrite the existing <body></body> tags and the closing </html> tag):

<frameset rows="80,*" frameborder="no" border="0" framespacing="0">
<frame src="top.html" name="topFrame" scrolling="No" noresize="noresize" id="topFrame" title="topFrame" />
<frame src="bottom.html" name="mainFrame" id="mainFrame" title="mainFrame" />

Now, make the background of top.html a different colour to bottom.html.

Put a hyperlink in bottom.html and add target="_parent" to its code.

Call up frameset.html into your browser and you'll see the different coloured top and bottom files. Click your hyperlink and the whole lot should vanish leaving the target page in its place with the same browser window intact.

Proper 'break our of frames' code can be used as well as or instead of and a Google search for that term will give you tons of links. This should kick things off though, assuming (once again) that I've undertsood your question.

Taran 17:35 24 Nov 05

clicking the browser Back button will reload the frameset and the pages that make it up, as will adding a JavaScript history link to click back to the frameset.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…