fragmenting and scan disc problems

virtual tour 14:52 22 Aug 03

When I try to fragment disc it says there are errors, I have to scan disc first, I do this but i had my PC on for 10 hours but it still did not complete the action..what is the problem anyone to give me advice? thanks.

xania 15:02 22 Aug 03

What operating system, what size HD, how,if at all, partitioned and what are you using to scan the disk. Are you getting any messages?

DieSse 15:37 22 Aug 03

You may have scandisk set up to do a "thorough" scan - change it to a "standard" scan - this will be all that s needed, and will be over much quicker.

Kaacee 15:37 22 Aug 03

Try booting up in safe mode...then try scandisc..followed by defrag....problem could be programmes running in background...

BURGMAN02 15:50 22 Aug 03

I had this problem and discovered some remnant of an old trial anti-virus program was running in the background despite having "deleted" the program via the add/remove progs.

A free trial download of Add/Remove Plus!2003 from Aurelitec,Inc. got the rubbish out and cured the problem.

virtual tour 01:32 23 Aug 03

I am trying to get into safe mode..how and what do I do to reach this mode..as I am having problems scanning disc in "standard" scan..thanks again if you can help.

anchor 08:44 23 Aug 03

To get into safe mode, press F5 during the boot process.

You can scandisc and defrag from there.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5