Fragment increase

Bingalau 20:33 11 Nov 04

I do a defragmentation run every evening with "Diskeeper Lite" when I am closing down. The last few nights I have noticed a sudden increase from what used to be a norm of about 50 to maybe 70/80 ish fragments to over 600. I have just looked now and there were 681 fragments before run. Can anyone explain the sudden jump please? Bingalau...

dez fowler 20:40 11 Nov 04

You only need to defragment your disk about once a month at the most.

Fragmentation can vary a great deal depending on how you use your computer, what programs you run etc.

One thing i would say however is that by defragmenting so much you may shorten the life of the drive.

Danoh 00:59 12 Nov 04

Do you still have loads of spare HDD space left?

If not, you might be running out of space which causes more of your files to become fragmented.

It could also be down to you working with a very large file size such as video or even a picture file, but with 256Mb or less memory, causing large temp work files to be written to your HDD's swap file area.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…