Fractions in Microsoft Excel

little ernie 20:42 04 Oct 03

I am doing a database of my stamp collection in Excel(I can't get my head round Access) and I am having a bit of difficulty putting in fractions like 2 1/2p.
I can put it in by clicking on insert then symbol then clicking on the half symbol and then insert. Thats where the problem lies. In my stamp collection there are hundreds of stamps with the half symbol and it gets a bit laborious going into insert a symbol each time. In Word I use shortcut keys but Excel dould not seem to have any. Has anyone got any solutions?

MAJ 21:07 04 Oct 03

Yes, one that will save a little time, little ernie. In the cell enter 2 then hold down the Alt key on your keyboard and type 0189, that will give you 2½ in the cell.

powerless 21:12 04 Oct 03

½

Chris the Ancient 21:13 04 Oct 03

A clever little solution if I say so myself. I was waiting for VoG to come along and beat everyone to it.

Probably won't affect little ernie in this case... but it is, of course, not actually a number that's created - it's a text item. This means you can't do any arithmetic operations on it.

Just a thought if anyone else thinks, 'Ahh, I can use that!'

Chris

MAJ 21:16 04 Oct 03

Or if you type ½ into word then copy it to the clipboard, you could then use Ctrl + V to paste it into the cell.

powerless 21:17 04 Oct 03

Is there a hotkey in excel?

MAJ 21:20 04 Oct 03

That is true, it wont work for calculations, but as little ernie (I don't think) will be using them in calculations........ but you know that already, Chris. It'll be good to see what "the Master" will come up with, though. :-))

Chris the Ancient 21:28 04 Oct 03

Yeah. Where is he?

Slacker :0))

little ernie 21:33 04 Oct 03

Thanks everyone, that will save me a lot of time.

Alan2 22:42 04 Oct 03

Try this:

Put some numbers like 2.5, 1.5 in a couple of cells; select them then click format/cells;

scroll down the category window to Fraction;

click that then in right hand window choose whatever is appropriate say the top one "up to one digit (1/4)" click that then click OK.

Numbers in cells should now read what you want.

Alan.

david.h 22:46 04 Oct 03

have you tried just using tables in word, it may be easier. that is what I did to catalogue a an old collection I have

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…