foxit reader v adobe reader

sunnystaines 08:27 01 Oct 14
Answered

always used adobe. will foxit use less memory and cpu. any disadvantages with foxit.

will use just to read pdf's

BT 08:42 01 Oct 14

I've always used Adobe but have recently changed to Foxit on my W7 laptop. I was getting an update reminder for Adobe but it wouldn't install on W7. It updated OK on the XP desktop so don't know what's going on.

Foxit seems to work fine and I think I'll swap to it on the XP machine.

alanrwood 08:55 01 Oct 14

Foxit works fine but inevitably has become a bloated program. If you want a simple pdf reader try Sumatrapdf. It does everything I want it to do and it is very very light on resource use.

spuds 10:18 01 Oct 14

I can only state what others have, and that is check for any bloatware that might come with Foxit. I use to use Foxit, but for some reason I returned to Adobe. Still considering my opinions with that verdict.

polymath 11:57 01 Oct 14

I used to use Adobe once, until the day (to cut a long story short) it was being even more prima donna-ish than usual, and wouldn't open some perfectly ordinary PDF I needed. I tried Foxit, which opened it with no fuss. It's been my default ever since, despite losing some of its original simplicity, and as far as I can remember it's cheerfully opened every PDF I've thrown at it.

Yes, it's a larger program that it used to be, but I'd bet that Adobe is still keeping ahead in that department! Foxit's as undemanding on my Vista computer as the earlier version was on my Win98SE one. (Bloatware does go against the grain, but I suppose elegant reprogramming would be more expensive all round).

Menzie 12:26 01 Oct 14

I second the use of Sumatra, it is very lightweight and doesn't even need installation.

It works with a wide variety of files too. I did try Foxit and was using it for a while but it has become so bloated now which was the whole point of me ditching Adobe.

Sumatra is great for viewing but for filling out forms, etc it may not perform as expected.

sunnystaines 17:12 01 Oct 14
Answer

thanks for all the feedback, was not aware that foxit had gone bloatware never tried it. will give sumatra a go adobe reader getting too resource hungry.

sunnystaines 11:52 03 Oct 14

adobe reader deleted and sumartra installed, works well and fast very light on using computer resources.

thanky you those that mentioned it, well impressed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…