Foxed about e-mail

daba 18:27 29 Apr 04

Recently received several e-mails, supposedly from my brother. I have not opened any of the attachments in them, but have 'viewed source' of the latest, which contained encrypted /html code.

I do not have my brothers e-mail address in my address book (Outlook Express 6), nor does my brother have my e-mail address in his !! Can't understand how this has happened.

Could it be that this a case of the perpetrator just using 'similar' email adresses (they both have our surname in them), in the hope that they will more likely be opened by the recipient ?

I believe I am well protected with AVG, and to date I have not noticed any strange behaviour of the PC.

stalion 19:09 29 Apr 04

bump

JONJO2004 16:18 01 May 04

First is NOT to open attachments and delete them completely, your mail address was probably picked up by a hi jacker/ tracking cookie from the net and then by a worm writer etc same with your brother and they just took pot luck. If you have not installed a firewall, do so asap and also add spybot search and destroy with adaware both are freebies with updates and they will do there job and stop the little so and sos, cant remember the site addresses now, if you do install these programs you must update them regularly. Most important is a firewall.

GaT7 16:33 01 May 04

Yes, delete all such messages.

I'd suggest you pre-check your e-mail BEFORE downloading them to your PC using programs like MailWasher click here, ePrompter click here or POP Peeper click here. All the above programs let you read/preview your messages & you can delete the dodgy ones directly off the server before they ever have a chance to reach (or mess) with your PC.

As JONJO2004 suggests...to download - Adaware - click here - Spybot-S&D - click here. Also install SpywareBlaster - click here, which prevents nasties infecting your PC in the first place. If the scans do find anything remove/delete them. Also keep these 3 programs installed as you'll need them to avoid getting infected again in the future. All the programs are freeware. Remember to run scans & check for updates regularly, & BEFORE scanning for the first time.

GaT7 16:33 01 May 04

Yes, delete all such messages.

I'd suggest you pre-check your e-mail BEFORE downloading them to your PC using programs like MailWasher click here, ePrompter click here or POP Peeper click here. All the above programs let you read/preview your messages & you can delete the dodgy ones directly off the server before they ever have a chance to reach (or mess) with your PC.

As JONJO2004 suggests...to download - Adaware - click here - Spybot-S&D - click here. Also install SpywareBlaster - click here, which prevents nasties infecting your PC in the first place. If the scans do find anything remove/delete them. Also keep these 3 programs installed as you'll need them to avoid getting infected again in the future. All the programs are freeware. Remember to run scans & check for updates regularly, & BEFORE scanning for the first time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced