Four beeps AFTER shut-down !

Paul33 06:36 06 Nov 10

This one is strange !

My XP-Pro desktop is working fine with no problems during boot-up or while working - other than the MY DOCUMENTS folder opening on startup and sometimes when I try to shut-down.

What is bugging me is after the PC has shut-down and you hear the power switch off, there are four short beeps ...... this is immediately after the PC powers off, not during close down.

Any ideas ????

Paul33 06:37 06 Nov 10

Soory - I meant MY COMPUTER folder opens !

User-312386 08:10 06 Nov 10

Four beeps normally means a fan failure, check your cpu fan, chipset fan and graphics card fans are still spinning!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:41 06 Nov 10

Try

1, In Windows Explorer or Control Panel,
click Tools in the Menu bar,
click Folder Options,
click View tab,
in Advanced Settings list, find and Uncheck
"Restore previous folder windows at logon"

2, Run regedit and navigate to:HKLM/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows NT/CurrentVersion/Winlogon

There should be a value (on right hand side of screen) called Userinit.

The data for this value is probably something similar to:C:\windows\system32\userinit.exe,C:\windows\system32\userinit.exe

If you do see a duplicated string in there similar to the above - simply double click on the Userinit value and edit the data so as to delete everything to the right of the first comma (,).

In the case above you would leave only:C:\windows\system32\userinit.exe

Exit registry edit and reboot.

Paul33 15:39 07 Nov 10

I've checked the userinit.exe setting many times - even deleting and re-typing it - there's no problem there.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…