"Found new hardware"

Mikealsop 10:14 07 Oct 03

I recently purchased Hi speed (USB2) hot reader (7 in 1 card reader - 4 slots)
As I use USB 1 it is backward compatible and works ok.
However every time I boot up Win XP advises ,in a balloon, that new hardware has been found and it does this 4 times. The hardware installation wizard then comes up four times to advise installation not complete and hardware may not work.
After getting rid of all this rigmarole everything works ok.
Does anyone now how I can stop this happening?

plankton 11:15 07 Oct 03

Did the reader come with a disk? I've noticed that if you try and use USB2 peripherals with USB1 ports, XP tends to complain, and tell you it isnt going to be fast enough etc.... See if anything clears with the disk installation for drivers.

If youve got no reds or yellows in device manager, there shouldnt be any problems though.

Mikealsop 12:18 07 Oct 03

Thanks, plankton, for response
Device manager is ok
There is a disk but manual advises no drivers needed for XP or ME.
In the absence of any other solutions I might try Win 2000 driver or just unplug the thing when not in use!

plankton 13:17 07 Oct 03

OK, I spose you could spend about a tenner and add a USB2 PCI card (like I did, and it is quicker!). Staples/Dabs/E-buyer all have cheap ones. I dont think the USB2 drivers on XP kick in until you have got the functionality (I may be wrong..I have been before).

Good luck m8.;o)

Mikealsop 14:20 07 Oct 03

thanks plankton. The usb2 pci card seems like a good idea

SEASHANTY 14:47 07 Oct 03

You need to have the SP1 update for Windows XP installed to use USB2. The USB2 drivers wre not contained in the original XP launch.

Mikealsop 14:52 07 Oct 03

Yes thanks I have SP1

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…