'FOUND' files ?

griffon 56 00:00 11 Jun 04

A list of 'FOUND' files has appeared on the C drive. I tried to delete one and a message popped up saying that they were temporary files containing fragments essential for the operating system and other programs. I've never seen anything like them before in the year that I've owned this computer and as temp files I wouldn't have thought that they were very important. Can anybody explain exactly what they are and whether Windows is doing its usual trick of trying to preserve something for its own obscure reasons.

stalion 00:01 11 Jun 04

do you have any names for the files and what os?

griffon 56 00:20 11 Jun 04

Stalion they are all called FOUND followed by numbers and letters. The OS is WIN XP Pro and the C drive is a 20 gig partition on a 40 gig HD.

griffon 56 23:08 11 Jun 04

crx1600 thanks for the observation, my FOUND files are in folders too. I had forgotten because I run a dual boot system in which only the WIN98 OS accesses the net and all the important stuff is on another hard drive running XP away from internet nasties, so when I posted the thread I couldn't recall all the details.

There were three folders dating from Feb this year one of which was 2.84 GB in size. On the grounds that no OS should produce of its own accord anything temporary without explanation or information, I've taken the bull by the horns and deleted all three folders ignoring the advice given by the pop up dialogue boxes that the folders were important. They've probably got spyware in them placed there by Microsoft! I'll let you know if my XP OS gives up the ghost, but I don't think it will, I think there are huge chunks of MS's OS's that don't actually do anything much and deserve to be deleted anyway.

griffon 56 00:09 07 Jul 04

To whom it may concern. I deleted the FOUND files and it hasn't made any difference, so much for their importance.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…