Formulas on webpages

berni6670 21:46 17 Jul 04

I want to put some finance calculator facilities on my website. The idea is that people can calculate compund interest, annuities, net present values etc whilst online

I havent a clue as to how to do this so if anyone can help I would be grateful. I cant do Java or HTML so I will need to copy the code from somewhere

Forum Editor 10:25 18 Jul 04

is via a script, but it's pretty complex, and I don't advise you to try unless you have considerable experience with scripting. There are many third-party solutions out there, and if you are serious about doing it I suggest you search for something suitable.

click here to see an example of the kind of thing I mean.

You'll need to run your site on a Unix server with PHP and a MySQL database installed.

eldevllc 14:37 18 Jul 04

Thank you for the reference. The site Gold-PHP is ours (Eldev LLC/ PHPStrike Tema). By the way, how you found it? Our new site is at click here We can make any custom programming, so no problems with designing financial calculators ;)

berni6670 15:37 18 Jul 04

I'm surprised there is no standard code for this sort of thing - isnt this a case of reinventing the wheel everytime. If not I'll have to ditch the idea - getting a someone to program things will cost too much for a little hobby website.

Does anyone know of a website that I could link to which provides online financial calculators?

Thanks again

eldevllc 17:39 18 Jul 04

tbh72 15:12 30 Jul 04

I might be able to help, would you be able to provide examples of what your after in Excel format?

Simsy 10:42 16 Aug 04

though it would exclude some folk from using it, is to write the formulae in Excel, then publish the Excel sheet as a web page with interactivity.

Unfortunately, though I'm sure this can be done, I'm not sure how to do it.

I think "end users" would need to have excel installed for it to work.

good luck,

berni6670 01:33 17 Aug 04

thanks for that suggestion

i'm not sure how to put an excel spreadsheet into a web page but i'll give it a go

Simsy 14:11 17 Aug 04

Save as "Web Page"

and make sure you tick the "add interactivity" box,

Simsy 18:46 17 Aug 04

Now I've got home, I've just tried this for myself... It works lovely when viewd locally, but not from my website.

I'm stumped I'm afraid.

Taran 20:28 17 Aug 04

Full Excel interactivity on the web is not a simple walk in the park.

Forum Editor detailed one way of doing this, by using PHP scripting with an underlying MySQL database on a UNIX server. The obvious alternative is ASP running off a Microsoft Access database on a Windows IIS server, but either one still requires database support from your host and someone capable of programming the necessary script(s) to do what you want.

The problem here is that there are so many possibilities, percentages, variables and whatnot you may well have to get something written for you from scratch.

There are ways of embedding Microsoft documents into web pages but this will still not offer full access to the full functions you write into the Excel spreadsheet.

Unless something is freely available that happens to meet your needs I think that this could be the time you source a web programmer. It all boils down to how much you want the functions on your site, whether they will add sufficient value to be worth having written and so on.

As suggested by eldevllc or a similar script site may have something suitable or that can be more easily adapted than having a program written from the ground up:

click here

click here

click here

click here

click here

click here

Good luck with it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…