formula for virtual memory

canard 18:34 06 Apr 03

Not a new thread I'm afraid. Please will someone be kind enough to remind how the formula goes for setting virtual memory.

Taran 19:24 06 Apr 03

It very much depends on who you ask.

I always suggest you let Windows get on with it and choose its own settings. Where problems arise, you can tinker with things, but unless they do I seen no point in playing around with your VM settings.

If you must manually set the paging file, there is no fixed formula to do so. Some people suggest 2.5 or 3 times your amount of RAM installed as a maximum.

My own suggestion, if you must alter things, is to run your system with Windows Task Manager minimised to your system tray and do what you would normally do with your computer for a while. Check out your page file use and make alterations based on that. For Windows 9x you can use the monitoring tools in Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools to check out your actual usage.

It's a pointless exercise devoting a huge virtual memory to a system that doesn't need it, so identify your requirements and make alterations accordingly, and only if required.

For the record, the only systems I set up manually for virtual memory are the two graphics workstations I have at work. I leave Windows to successfully manage every other desktop and notebook PC I have.

Regards

Taran

canard 11:40 07 Apr 03

Thankyou Taran.I find I cut out the coaster production on my Win98 SE 128 16 bit sound but am getting 32bit sound with Win98SE 256ram and will probably need to make adjustments.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…