Forms - sending data via e-mail

Blitzer 00:30 26 Aug 03

Demon used to be my ISP and as such provided CGI scripts for processing forms and allowing me to have those results sent to me via e-mail. However, I have since switched to NTL who do not provide any CGI scripts (or anything else it would seem) so this method of form data being sent to me via e-mail is now gone.

I have tried using the following...

FORM NAME="myform" ID="myform" ACTION="mailto:[email protected]" METHOD="GET">

Which fails to send the form data to my e-mail client Eudora when I test the form via Netscape 7.1 or IE6.

FORM NAME="myform" ID="myform" ACTION="mailto:[email protected]" METHOD="POST">

This fails to do anything with tested with Netscape 7.1 and although it seems to work with IE6 the data received is rather crude and not easy to work with.

Does anyone have any simple solutions without the need to start either paying for a service to process and send form data to me?

Help!... :(

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. :)

barryoneoff.co.uk 01:17 26 Aug 03

you have to suffer a small advert with it, but you can customise their HTML to suit your needs (free).

Cheers, Whiz...

Forum Editor 01:50 26 Aug 03

of form handlers available, and you can get a good (free) CGI script if you
click here

Many ISPs will not allow you to run your own scripts on their server (for obvious reasons) and you may run up against this with NTL.

An alternative is to author your site in an application like Microsoft FrontPage, which has its own form handler built in. You'll need FrontPage extensions to be installed on the server before it will work, but many ISPs now do this automatically. Others make a small charge.

Blitzer 23:33 26 Aug 03

>Many ISPs will not allow you to run your own scripts on their server (for obvious reasons) and you may run up against this with NTL.

This is something that really does not seem to be clear from NTL's information online.

Blitzer 20:28 27 Aug 03

Time for a silly question - where do I put such scripts on my webspace (as provided to me by my ISP)? And more importantly get them to work? I have looked at the docs for the script as directed towards by the Forum Editor, but I have to admit I'm at a bit of loss what do do with the files I have downloaded. =-s

Forum Editor 20:41 27 Aug 03

and read the readme.txt document? It tells you how to set up and use the script.

Blitzer 20:58 27 Aug 03

I did - but that's where I get lost. I'm not too bad when it comes to HTML, but I know nothing about .cgi or Perl? Very lost ATM TBH. =-s

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…