formatting your digicam cards

joeltr 12:22 29 Feb 04

hi all i have just read an article in my ptotography magazine concerning digital cards,after each shoot has been safely backed up you should format your card, because when you delete your card all you are doing is removing the header,( dont know what that means) that is why it is sometimes possible to retrieve data from a card, if you reformat you are giving your card a good clean, it could also increase output, so i have just tried it, and from getting 93 shots at the best setting on my SD128 card it is now showing 102, so i thought i would post it in case there are anymore trainees out there who didnt know this, regards joel.

bloo meeny 13:13 29 Feb 04

Interesting - thanks.

joeltr 17:08 02 Mar 04

>>

anchor 17:25 02 Mar 04

Interesting: I will give it a try.

Jester2K 17:29 02 Mar 04

I read this too and told it to a client who keeps getting old, deleted pictures back on her Sony Digital Camera. See if it works...

Stuartli 17:48 02 Mar 04

You shouldn't delete flash card files from the computer system - always do it from the camera and then you won't need to reformat.

Jester2K 18:20 02 Mar 04

The article states that the "professionals" always format and not delete (even from the camera) as it cleans all the records and doesn't just do the trick of "forgetting" where files are.

I do the same with floppy disks.

joeltr 11:17 03 Mar 04

thats what i did, i dont let my pc remove pics when transferring, after reading the article i formatted as you said and the memory increased,

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…