formatting a xp computer

TOFF 14:37 12 Apr 03

i had recent problem with xp and it seems the only way to fix it is to format and start again. how do i do this?

simple question, hopefully with a simple answer.

thanks

powerless 14:43 12 Apr 03

Backup all your stuff, photos etc.

Then make sure you have your Windows XP Disc.

...and your windows "Product Key"

Pop in your XP CD and restart your computer now you will have to make the computer BOOT from that, otherwise you will just go striaght into windows.

When the computer is starting keep tapping the DELETE key and this will bring you into the BIOS.

Change the boot device from Hard drive to CD and make sure you save this change. Consult the Motherboard manual for instruction on how to do this or have a look at the motherborads website.

You will now BOOT from the CD and you can start formatting. You will have to delete the XP partition and then create a new one or two or however many you want. Then just install windows from there...

The XP setup from the CD is easy to understand.

Heres some info and screenshots click here

woodchip 14:44 12 Apr 03

Do you have a full XP with the license key or a restore disc

TOFF 14:53 12 Apr 03

i am actually in the process of formatting the computer now. i booted from the cd, and its doing a normal format, is that the correct one? i couldve chosen a quick format. wats the difference between the two?

powerless 15:03 12 Apr 03

I think a "Normal" format is where it deletes everything off the drive and makes all of the drive free and unused space.

The "Quick" format is where it just deletes traces of all the files...In a way there still there.

I maybe be wrong though.

Kudu 16:25 12 Apr 03

I have often wondered this as well and this is what Microsoft says.
When you choose to run a regular format on a volume, files are removed from the volume you are formatting and the hard disk is then scanned for bad sectors. The scan for bad sectors is responsible for the majority of the time it takes to format a volume.

If you choose the Quick format option, format removes files from the partition, but does not scan the disk for bad sectors. This option should only be used if your hard disk has been previously formatted and you are sure that your hard disk is not damaged.

If you installed Windows on a partition that was formatted by using the Quick format option, you can also check your disk by using the chkdsk /r command after the installation of Windows has completed

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now