Formatting WD USB2.0 80GB External Drive

Nosmas 14:58 02 Apr 04

I am considering installing WXP and buying the above hardware. I understand it comes pre-formatted FAT32. Presumably it will be possible to treat it like any other (internal) HDD and partition it and format the partitions as required e.g. FAT16, FAT32 or NTFS, using something like Partition Magic 8.0? Also to clone to it from the internal HDD with say Drive Image 2002?

Has anyone any experience/knowledge of this piece of kit and can confirm (or otherwise) my above questions?

TomJerry 15:06 02 Apr 04

I used other external HDs all just like Internal one. But it is not ease to try to boot from it, actually almost impossible.

Nosmas 19:15 02 Apr 04

Thanks TomJerry - if other externals HD's work then hopefully the WD will also.

Any other comments from the evening shift please?

temp003 06:24 03 Apr 04

You can use XP's Disk Management to delete the single partition on the external hdd first, then re-create the partitions you like, and format them.

When you choose to format the partitions, the file system options will be given to you, including NTFS, FAT32, FAT (i.e. FAT16) - but only options available for the size of the partition in question. So for example, if the size is small enough, the options will include FAT.

Note however that XP cannot format a partition larger than 32GB with the FAT32 file system. XP can read and write to such a partition, but Microsoft just decides not to let XP format it for you. You'll have to use another means to format a FAT32 partition larger than 32GB.

Nosmas 09:19 03 Apr 04

Thanks for that very useful information.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…