formatting a second hand pc

sparksiemark 13:50 28 Oct 09

Hi, im new to pc's and i am learning as i go along.
I have bought my kids a second hand pc which is running windows xp, but it is extremly slow.
The bloke that i bought it off said that windows was pre-loaded onto it and thats why there isn't a windows CD.
Its an ACER ASPIRE and it is about 9 years old.
Is there any way to confirm that windows is pre-loaded onto it, and how would i format it so that the baic window components are installed?
Thanks..

oldbeefer2 14:27 28 Oct 09

Nine years old? That's probably why it's slow. beforwe a reformat, might be worth doing the usual houskeeping with CCleaner, anti virus and antimalware. Also check what RAM is installed as it could be minimal on a PC of that age (use the tool click here, assuming it's connected to tinternet).

oldbeefer2 14:40 28 Oct 09

Nine years old? That's probably why it's slow. beforwe a reformat, might be worth doing the usual houskeeping with CCleaner, anti virus and antimalware. Also check what RAM is installed as it could be minimal on a PC of that age (use the tool click here, assuming it's connected to tinternet).

oldbeefer2 14:41 28 Oct 09

Sorry for the double post - finger trouble!

wee eddie 15:26 28 Oct 09

and have to buy a new copy.

The route to go is to return it to Factory Settings. A visit to the Acer Site should help you on this. There should be a sticker on the Side, or Back, with the Windows Serial Number.

Before doing that. Download this click here It's free and will tell you the exact specification of your PC.

Before then, as 'oldbeefer2' said, the PC is probably pretty clogged with kack. CCleaner will clean a lot of Rubbish, as will a Defrag. All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Defrag.

If the PC has not been Defragged for a while. Make sure that everything is turned off, including any Screen Savers, and be prepared to let it run overnight.

Kevscar1 16:20 28 Oct 09

Also run CCcleaners reg cleaner

sharpamat 16:21 28 Oct 09

Acers normally have an hidden partition with recovery on Press ALT - F10 when the system logs on to start the eRecovery

If this has been damaged or removed you should be able to purchase a set of discs from Acer. which will require the serial Number

This will restore to how it was purchased and remove everything else

sparksiemark 18:45 28 Oct 09

Thanks for your help and advice.
Will try tomorrow as it impossible to pry two girls from the computer.
It is connected to the 'net and the girls use it for facebook and as an online music streamer, it takes 10 mins to connect to 'net thou.
Thanks again..

Terry Brown 12:10 29 Oct 09

It might be worth trying to obtain a copy of Win 2000 Pro, as that is very similar to the original XP, minus some of the frills and whistles.

However it will run most programs for XP, and it will run faster.
Terry

This is an example click here
Terry

oldbeefer2 13:21 29 Oct 09

Do check the RAM, as a lot of early XP boxes came with only 256, which is a bit on the low side, even for XP!

wee eddie 14:02 29 Oct 09

It will fly on 1GB ~ visit Crucial for an assessment click here and if you decide to buy, get it from them. Their Guarantee is rock solid.

Increase to 2GB and diminishing returns set in, with a 9y.o. CPU installed, there will be little advantage.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…