formatting second drive in xp

Jane doe 14:56 12 Apr 03

How do you format a second drive in XP please. I have several HDs that I want to format, they will only store data so have no op system on so I just want to clean them off completely. In win 98 I just connected them up as a second hard drive and then clicked My Computer and Format F, but when I do this on my XP machine it says it cant format as windows has control of the HD, close applications and try again. I have done this but still cant format the hard drive. What am I doing wrong please?

AndySD 15:05 12 Apr 03

Go Start choose Run type in

diskmgmt.msc

you can format the disks by rightclicking on them.

Jane doe 15:08 12 Apr 03

thanks Andy I will try that now. Is that the normal way to format second hard drives? I have 4 to do?

Jane doe 15:15 12 Apr 03

Andy I tried what you said the two HD came up and I chose Fomat F. What I got was an error message saying...Warning the drive you are trying to format is currently in use. Click YES to force a format but be aware the application using this drive may be damaged.
What do I do?

temp003 06:16 13 Apr 03

There might be a disk utility running, such as Norton Unerase (or Norton Protection), or GoBack. Disable any disk utility running in respect of the relevant drive before attempting to format it.

Jane doe 10:53 13 Apr 03

temp003...how? I do have norton and disabled the AV but dont know how to disable rest.

MAJ 10:59 13 Apr 03

Jane doe, is the XP drive formatted as NTFS? If not you could use a Win98se boot disk to format your drives.

temp003 11:04 13 Apr 03

I don't know whether you have any disk utility, just saying if you do, turn them off. The fact that you have Norton AV does not mean you have other disk utilities.

Do you use Norton Utilities, or Norton SystemWorks? If so, you will have Norton Protection.

To turn off Norton Protection, right click Recycled Bin, select Properties, select the Norton Protection tab, select the relevant drive, untick "enable protection". click OK.

Jane doe 14:54 13 Apr 03

temp003
I do have Norton Sys works. I have done as you suggest and....it works!! well done, thanks.
Jane. xx

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…