formatting -rw disks

tamsin 11:45 11 May 09

I have a new computer - Packard Bell (yes, I know - big mistake!) with Vista set up as dual boot with WIN XP SP3. Never had a problem with formattings disks before - but now get message
"Type of file system is RAW. Please use the /FS switch to specify file system you wish to use on this volume".
I am completely confused - no matter which /switch I use I get the same message.
Please can anyone tell me what is going on here.
Thanks

johndrew 15:52 11 May 09

I don`t use Vista but found this click here. Are you using the correct command ie format /fs:XXX where XXX= FAT, FAT32 or NTFS as indicated in the thread?

johndrew 15:57 11 May 09

Should have said, I use Nero to format my RWs click here often a cut down version is supplied with CD/DVD writers.

tullie 16:15 11 May 09

It is not necesssary to format new discs

tamsin 11:09 12 May 09

Thanks very much for info johndrew, it is very helpful. Previously I have not had to format using this method. however I was putting the /fs in the wrong place. Have got Nero on my Vista partition, so can use that. Most of the time I'm still using XP.
My hard disk is NTFS - but for CDs or DVDs do I need to make them FAT32 or NTFS?
I'm formatting to get rid of now useless info on the disks.

johndrew 15:28 12 May 09

The format you use is down to personal choice provided your PC can read the data. If you are using NTFS on the PC and the DVD-RW as an `extra` HDD, then it would make sense to format in NTFS. However this may preclude you transferring data from one machine to another. A lot of people also swear by INCD click here which uses the Universal Disk Format (UDF).

Again I would use Nero to format as it is a simple automatic method. You should be able to use the current version of Nero you have on your Vista partition for this and still read the disks on XP.

I think that an ISO 9660 standard can be read by pretty much any drive so provided you meet the requirements there you will be OK. You can use the Nero InfoTool click here (download button at the bottom) to see what the CD/DVDs are currently if it is is of any help.

tamsin 16:21 12 May 09

Thanks Johndrew - you have been very helpful I can certainly solve my problem now.
Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…