Formatting remote HDD

Liteman 17:52 30 Jul 09

I have been trying to format a Lacie 250GB remote drive. The drive is partitioned into an 8MB and 233GB partition. The 8MB one is fine and is shown as healthy & FAT in Computer Management. The larger partition is shown as 233GB & Healthy, however when I try to format it I only get the option of NTFS which takes about an hour to get to 95% and then I'm told that Windows could not complete the format - any ideas?

I'm using XP Home, SP2 and have tried it on both an HP Pavilion Dv2000 Laptop and a new Desk top.

DieSse 17:58 30 Jul 09

In XP you cannot format any partition larger than 32GB except to NTFS - it simply won't let you. You would need to use a third-party program.

Windows cab talk to FAT32 partitions larger than 32GB - it just won't let you format one.

As to why NTFS format hangs at 95% I have no idea - perhaps the drive is faulty? Looks quite possible as the same happens in two systems.

Incidentally 8MB and 233GB is an odd structure. Is the 8MB left over in the partitioning?

Why not try removing both partitions and starting again. A full format of 233GB will take a long time - an hour, I'm not surprised at.

Liteman 18:04 30 Jul 09

Not sure how to remove the partitions with third party software.The 8MB is left over from the past when I "borrowed, but only temporarily" a copy of Partition Magic. That source has long since moved away & I've changed computers.

Liteman 18:05 30 Jul 09

Meant to say

Not sure how to remove the partitions without third party software ........

DieSse 18:06 30 Jul 09

You can remove and reset the partitions with XP Disk Manager.

BRYNIT 18:42 30 Jul 09

Free Paragon partition manager 9 may help click here

Liteman 22:48 30 Jul 09

I've now got it to a single 233GB partition but am still faced with the problem of formatting a partition bigger than 32GB. I tried Partition Manager to change the partitions but it doesn't seem to want to play with an unformatted disk.

Is there a third party, free, bit of formatting software out there somewhere?

DieSse 23:08 30 Jul 09

You really should be formatting it as NTFS - it's more robust and less wasteful of space.

Why do you want to format to FAT32?

Liteman 23:15 30 Jul 09

Ignore me, I should have read your earlier reply more closely. It looks, therefore, as if the drive is "stuffed", shortly to be consigned to the bin.

Thanks to all for help & suggestions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…