Formatting re-used external hard drive

Carafaraday 11:24 27 Aug 04

I have bought an external hard drive box for the hdd out of my old dead pc and have connected it ok to this one running XP. I no longer need anything on the old drive, and want to keep it for back ups.

1. How do I go about reformatting it to get rid of all old files, windows 98se, etc and should it be formatted with FAT32 or the other thing?
2. Will it be possible using Drive Image 7 to back up Windows XP and all my files to the external drive? and if so, how?

Carafaraday 19:05 27 Aug 04

No response - is everyone one holiday?

smokingbeagle 19:24 27 Aug 04

Right click on the drive in "My Computer" and choose format. If your main drive has been formatted as NTFS, format the external as NTFS. Someone will know the answer to your second question.

Carafaraday 21:43 27 Aug 04

Thanks, Smokingbeagle. Anyone else know about Drive Image 7?

woodchip 21:52 27 Aug 04

You should use drive image to create a image of C:\ and put it on ether another partition or onto CD, DI may recognise you external drive allowing you to put it on that. Only way to find out is to try it, you can always exit the program

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…