Formatting and re-install

msmop 20:56 08 Jul 03

Hello All

Well I took the plunge and formatted the harddrive and re-installed Windows 98se and am now in the process of reloading all the software I had running. I am having some problems with Internet Explorer, which I rarely used before, but forgot to get the web address for Avant Browser which is the one I prefer. What is happening now with IE is trying to load pages, some will others won't, even this site was one of the won'ts and I managed to get to it only via Yahoo search engine. What settings should I be using in IE 5.5 to allow me access?????
I am on Broadband and it is irritating to wait a long time to stay still. I get this message at bottom of page.' Website found. Waiting for reply'.

Prof ;o) 21:29 08 Jul 03

try upgrading to IE6.0 SP1 IE5.5 is know do have god knows how many probs.

prof

keith-236785 23:37 08 Jul 03

you should have been redirected to microsoft's upgrade page just after you managed to reconnect to the internet, did you cancell it or did you go there and download the IE upgrade?

i have just installed win98 in an old computer and am happily running it on IE5. (i cancelled the download request) if you are having major problems, firstly is your internet connection setup correctly (including your modem), if your broadband is through a lan connection, have you installed the latest drivers for the lan card.

second, go to microsoft.com and browse to the Intrenet Explorer upgrade page and install version 6.

good luck, just check your connection as its probably there where the problem is.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…