Formatting Problem & Sire Review

OTT_Buzzard 00:31 AM 01 Dec 09

I've been working on a website (not my normal thing to do!) and am basically happy with it, apart from one intermittent problem.

When the page (thecellar-bar.co.uk/wine) is generated, 9 times out of 10 it comes up and is displayed fine. But every few refreshes, the formatting is chucked out. As far as I can work out it is only a problem in Internet Explorer. Chrome and Firefox don't seem to be an issue.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this? The page is generated from a table in a mySQL database.

Also, if anyone wants to share some brutal criticisms about the site, that's all good! There are a couple of picture isues on a couple of pages (images haven't been resized) which I'll fix in due course.

click here

OTT_Buzzard 09:14 AM 01 Dec 09

Constructive feedback as always!

Thanks for the link - i wasn't aware such a facility existed. I'll start ploghing through the code and make the relevant corrections.

For a first effort at a website from scratch and 'only' 23 errors....on one page....i've got a lot to learn!

OTT_Buzzard 09:14 AM 01 Dec 09

ploghing = ploughing

OTT_Buzzard 13:31 PM 01 Dec 09

The 'Wine' page now validates through the W3C markup validation service, however the formatting issue is still there. Any thoughts appreciated.

Although the validation service reported back well over 1000 errors on the page, in reality there were actually only about 20 - a single piece of code loops through.

Ansolan 03:37 AM 02 Dec 09

Just lost a more detailed reply again (I forgot to copy log in again and paste)

In brief, there are a number of inline style tags in that page:

<td style='vertical-align:text-top; rowspan=3'>

Likely to cause problems and no guarantee but try:

<td rowspan=3 style='vertical-align:text-top;>

As for the site, agree this isn't ideal for visitors and neither is the look/layout.

There are plenty of reputable sites that offer free XHTML/CSS templates. Should look better, eliminate layout issues and allow you to use a more efficient free WYSIWYG editor that creates more rational code.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia Z5 vs Xperia Z5 Premium vs Xperia Z5 Compact: What's the difference between Sony's new ?…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Get $800 of free online Nuke and VRay rendering from Google Zync

iPhone 6S preview: What to expect from Apple's next iPhone