Formatting partions

rossol 17:14 28 Jan 05

I am having trouble with a new sound card and after trying various things I have been informed the best thing is to format and put my XP with SP back on,I have saved every thing I want.I have 2 partions on my hard drive,can I go to MY COMPUTER and right click,go to format and format my first partion only ,re install XP then put my sound card back in or is there more to it than that

Chezdez 17:20 28 Jan 05

you can't format the drive within windows, because you can't delete system files

go into BIOS (tap delete key whilst comp boots), and set our CD/DVD drive as the primary boot device, then pop your Windows disx in the drive before rebooting

after the CD has loaded, you will be asked what you want to do, choose fresh install, then where it asks which partition you want to use, delete the partition that windows is on now, and then format that partition before reinstalling

may i also suggest that you try a repair install before a full reinstall, just choose repair install instead of fresh install

rossol 17:24 28 Jan 05

right will do that,thanks for your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…