Formatting an old hard drive with XP

CurlyWhirly 20:50 20 Oct 04

My sister has recently upgraded from Windows 95 to Windows XP so that she can run a broadband connection.
On her new tower unit she has a 120 Gb hard drive which is plenty big enough but what she wants to do is format her old hard drive with Windows 95 on it so that it can be used for other things.

It is only 10 Gb in size but it would suit her!
If I just connect it on the second IDE channel and set it to slave will XP recognise it and let me format it from there?
I think it will but I thought I would check as I don't want to mess up her newly acquired PC as she would kill me!
Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.

mgmcc 20:58 20 Oct 04

You could just boot the PC that it is in at the moment with a Windows 98 "boot floppy" and format it from the DOS prompt.

If you need a Win 98 floppy - click here

Diodorus Siculus 20:59 20 Oct 04

Yes; what you suggest will be fine - connect up as slave and format it from within my computer.

PSF 21:16 20 Oct 04

Make sure when you format the drive it is in Fat 32 and not NTFS. Win 95 will not work in NTFS

dan 11 21:27 20 Oct 04

That should be fine CurlyWhirly.

It probably will not show in my computer when you switch the computer on. Right click my computer, pick manage and then disk management. The new drive will show in the right hand side window. Right click on the space to the right of the drive and pick either format or initialise. You will get a drop down box to choose either NTFS or FAT32.

Now it will show in my computer.

CurlyWhirly 06:47 21 Oct 04

with your help my query is resolved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…