Formatting an NTFS hard drive?

Molded 20:35 23 Nov 04

A friend, a fellow teacher, has a donated PC [seconds from a local company]with XP Pro pre-installed on NTFS.

A problem has reared it's ugly head with existing software.One program in particular -"The Indian In The Cupboard" dates back to 1995, but is one of the most popular programs that the teacher uses[There are others!]

The XP Compatibility wizard has failed to allow this program to run so the question is...

...how can I format the hard drive to allow either a dual boot win98 and XP or a format and reinstall of win98?

There are copies of both win98 and XP available.

bremner 20:48 23 Nov 04

One way would be to use a utility like Partition magic.

This would enable you to partion off a section of the drive format it to FAT32 and install W98

Djohn 20:53 23 Nov 04

click here This should help. Microsofts way to remove NTFS and restore using FAT for 98/98se/me and XP system.

Molded 14:33 26 Nov 04

Djohn and Bremner -

Many thanks for your suggestions but as Partition Magic was not available and the MS site a little beyond me , I went with a suggestion from another colleague to remove the HDD , install it as slave in another machine , format and reinstall a dual boot XP/win98 setup after refitting to the original machine.

Everything is up and running , including the old software , and my computer knowledge has been greatly enhanced!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…