formatting a New drive as an USB external

jack 18:28 11 Aug 04

My Mega/Gigabyte drive has arrived
It is safely installed in its USB caddy.
It needs formatting.
Seagate have a DiscWizard which is a 10 Mb download but looking at the doc I do not see that it caters for an external USB drive.So I have yet to download

When I got the Caddy I installed a scrap drive, and because it is already formatted it is recognised.
But the new drive I guess needs the F disk treatment, so how do I do that from a system already running?

I notice that when connected to the system it does recognise 'New Hardware' but of course shows
the drive as a 1.8 gig [the scrap drive].
So whats the next move?

woodchip 18:42 11 Aug 04

Get Partition Magic or Acronis Disc Manager to partition and format the drive check they support External drives. I do not recommend the use of DiscWizard only as a last resort

HondaMan 19:14 11 Aug 04

Totally agree. I've just used PM8 to format an external USB drive. No probs and only took a few minutes

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:20 11 Aug 04

What OP sys? xp

My computer - right click drive - select format from drop down memory.

Just done 3 old drives FAT32 on 2 and NTFS on the third.

SEASHANTY 19:24 11 Aug 04

Some info on the Belkin manual for its USB external hard drive enclosure. Gives formatting info which should be common for all external drives. The file is in .pdf format
click here

SEASHANTY 19:31 11 Aug 04

Also a note on partitioning external drive NTFS and FAT32 on Lavasoft support forum
click here

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:55 11 Aug 04

Fruit Bat /\0/\ is spot on. Just right-click and select format, no need to go to extreme lenghts for a very simple job.

There is no point in partitioning the drive especially if it is being used for storage of or for running programmes from. In fact there was a recent thread on partitioning where I (and others) discussed that partitoning was totally unecessary in modern computers.

G

richard_s 20:04 11 Aug 04

If it is not showing in my computer.

Right click my computer, then left click manage, then left click disk management. The external drive should show here. Right click on it for the tools you need.

SEASHANTY 20:19 11 Aug 04

If using the external drive for backing up two or more different systems - say desktop and laptop then
Maxtor suggest partitioning external drive QUOTE
5) I have a laptop and a desktop that I need to back up. Can I use the OneTouch feature on both?
Yes. We suggest that you divide the external drive into two partitions/volumes so that you can keep the data separate for each system. This eliminates confusion as to what data belongs to what device. It also minimizes the potential for data loss. UNQUOTE

The paragraph 5) is from Maxtors website.

jack 20:58 11 Aug 04

Done it!
Thanx to all
Richard S showed the way
Something new to learn every minute
The new Maga-Giga 200 shows 186.xx available
Have I been Done?
Is that why it was so cheap?

:-(
J

jack 20:59 11 Aug 04

Done it
Thanx to all
Richard S showed the Way
The Mega giga '200 Gb' shows 186 Gb avail able
Have I been done?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…