Formatting for New Builds

BaboonBoy22 11:15 04 Jan 09

OK I had planned to format my drives so I could use them in my new build with with an external chassis. But of course the chassis is for IDE drives and not SATA (dumb A**).
As long as I have the windows disk in for the first boot, I can choose to format it then can't I?

johndrew 12:39 04 Jan 09

If I understand you correctly, you are building a system which you intend to boot from an external drive - why I`m uncertain.

You can get external caddies, of various types, for SATA HDDs. The interface for these can be USB or e-SATA. Which you would want to use would be personal choice (unless you insist on staying with a PATA drive).

You would need to ensure your USB ports powered up at BIOS boot if you retained USB as your boot option for the HDD.

I think you will find that when you come to install Windows (I presume you will be installing one of the MS offerings) the OS will do what is necessary during installation.

Having said that, many HDDs are supplied pre-formatted, some NTFS and some FAT32 - less of the latter these days unless as an external drive.

Pamy 12:52 04 Jan 09

BaboonBoy22, you are not too clear to me in what you are going to do (i'm an oldie) can you try to explain a little more? ( not too techie)

BaboonBoy22 13:17 04 Jan 09

I'm building a new machine, but using my old HDD's. Before I started the build I was going to format the drives using an IDE to USB external chassis. But of course my HDD's are SATA and not IDE.
So my question is can I format the drives on first boot? and not cause any problems with the install?

Pamy 13:19 04 Jan 09

Yes, windows will do this for you

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac