formatting my pc

houllier 13:26 13 Dec 05

please could someone tell me how to format my pc??

Totally-braindead 13:27 13 Dec 05

Is it XP you use or windows 98?

Totally-braindead 13:41 13 Dec 05

If you key FORMAT into the search box you will find full instructions as its been asked many times. A couple of things though, make sure you have the motherboard drivers disk and the driver/software for your modem or broadband connection cos without that you can't get back on the internet if you run into bother. Once formatted install windows, then the motherboard drivers, this is important, then everything else, plus its a sensible idea to install anti virus before connecting to the internet again to stop viruses getting in. Oh and write down any email addresses you need to keep.

Diodorus Siculus 13:43 13 Dec 05

WindowsReinstall.com - Install, Reinstall, Upgrade, Repair Windows XP, 98, ME, NT, 2000, 2003, 3.1 and MSDOS
click here

If you are formatting, I imagine you will then reinstall Windows - if so, the above is a good guide.

Totally-braindead 18:08 13 Dec 05

houllier by email
XP is his operating system

I wish to point out that you do not use the envelope to send messages to people unless they ask you to do so. If you want to reply you just post back in your thread. I hope that is clear as you obviously new to the Forum. The link given by Diodorus Siculus appears to be a good step by step guide and following that should give you no problems but as I said before. Before you do this write down email addresses and make sure you have the motherboard drivers and the modem or broadband disks so that if something isn't quite right you can get help/advice from here or elsewhere. Also I would again like to stress that it is very important that after XP is reinstalled you next put on the motherboard drivers before anything else. If you do not do this then some things may appear to be ok but will not be working properly. I don't wish to put you off as reinstalling windows once you've done it is really quite easy and will get rid of all the rubbish left behind when you remove programs. I realise if you've never done it before it can seem a bit daunting but providing you have the Windows XP disk, the motherboard disk and your internet drivers disk its not that differcult although it will take a couple of hours. I don't know what you have in the way of anti virus but if you don't have anything else then download AVG before you start, save it to a CD and install that before you connect to the internet, the reason I say is last year I reinstalled XP for a friend, forgot to install anti virus before I connected to the net and was hit by 3 viruses in about 20 minutes. AVG free download click here

orangejuice 00:25 05 Jan 06

bear with me please,

i am totally new to taking an interest in my computer ... so i bit of retard by your standards and would appreciate any help!

im about to reformat and have read as much as i can. first i downloaded avg as suggested - how do i burn to cd - i just tried pressin save when i first downloaded - but this didnt work? do i need to save on my computer then try to burn it on nero as it appears on desktop?
also how can i find out what my motherboard is - so i can download the driver?
lastly - i dont know where my xp home serial number is - i have cd but no number .. i presume this is essential?

thanks for your help

Diodorus Siculus 08:10 05 Jan 06

[quote]how do i burn to cd[/quote]

Download to desktop and save there. Then burn to CD with Nero as usual.

[quote]how can i find out what my motherboard is[/quote]

Belarc
click here download and install this utility - it will tell you all that you need to know.

Diodorus Siculus 08:11 05 Jan 06

[quote]i dont know where my xp home serial number is[/quote]

Magical Jelly Bean Software - Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder v1.41
"The Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder is a freeware utility that retrieves your Product Key (cd key) used to install windows from your registry. It has the options to copy the key to clipboard, save it to a text file, or print it for safekeeping. It works on Windows 95, 98, ME, NT4, 2000, XP, Server 2003, Office 97, and Office XP."
click here

orangejuice 12:17 07 Jan 06

thanks guys your help is much appreciated

woodchip 12:29 07 Jan 06

Looks like you are talking to your selves

Terry Brown 15:27 07 Jan 06

I would suggest that before you format your computer, you go into REGEDIT , select HKEY_Users then Software. Select the programs you are running (highlight)and EXPORT (See File)them. The reason for this is that sometimes the programs you have been running, have a limited registration period, and you may have a program getting the program running again.If this happens, open regedit, select IMPORT (from file),select the location whee you stored your exported registery file and click.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…