formatting laptop after virus

ghostdog 22:47 03 Apr 06

hi people, my laptop got a virus and buggered up so i put the recovery disk in and nothing. it required me to boot up from disk but then requested i format the c: drive partition. i tried a quick format but it said it couldnt complete because the drive was either, corrupt or not formatted. so on friday i was going away and left it on a full format, i returned today to find only 16% finshed. is this normal? i thought it had crashed and decided to start again so off i went retried and its been 6 hours and 0% so far. please please help me!! (xp edition of windows)

Madpad_001 05:55 04 Apr 06

It is possible that you have a few bad sectors on your drive.(I had a 40 gig drive and it took 3 days to format.)

RobCharles1981 11:50 04 Apr 06

People have been talking on the forums about killdisk which kills the harddrive so that your left with a totaly blank harddrive why don't you try that?

ghostdog 13:26 04 Apr 06

Its a 60gb drive so maybe your rightthere MADPAD, as for this kill disk ROB how would i go about getting it and also putting it onto the computer. im at 5% now 2 days later, im crying i miss my baby ha ha. cheers fellas

remind 13:29 04 Apr 06

perhaps something is up with the drive - if you know the manufacturer, download a diagnostic from the relevant website, burn it to cd on another pc, boot your laptop from it and run the tests
powermax for maxtor
seatools for seagate/quantum
etc etc click here=

ghostdog 16:48 04 Apr 06

Hoofin, hard drive mechanic solved the situation, its much appriciated for all your help guys, i hope to return the favour one day.

many thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…