Formatting Laptop

ribo 13:55 19 Jun 05

I am wanting to format this Sony Laptop. It has not got an A floppy drive. Can you tell mehow I can dothis. I have the recovery disks (all 3) but cannot find anything to reformat.
The O/S is 2000 professional and I would like to install XP.Can anyone see any problem with this? Thanks. J

De Marcus 14:05 19 Jun 05

Just put the xp disk in and run the setup, the setup routine will give you the option of formatting the laptop before installing xp.

ribo 14:23 19 Jun 05

I have done that and get a message "Your currect installation of windows is not supported upgrade path. Seup cannot continue."
I only bought an upgrade,as I had 2000 Prof.
Is that the problem. I thouight if I could format the HDD I could then install XP and when asked for the O/s to be updated,I could use the 2000 or 98 disk.
Can you help any further please.

woodchip 14:27 19 Jun 05

If you have recovery disc why not just run that it will put things back to when you bought the comp.
no need to format with them

woodchip 14:28 19 Jun 05

ps as above it should upgrade from xp disc

ribo 14:29 19 Jun 05

I want to install XP instead of 2000 Prof.

ribo 14:33 19 Jun 05

The laptop is in its original condition except that it had a partitioned HDD and I merged them ,other than that it is as I bought it. I have inserted the XP disk and I get the above message. It is a upgrade disk but I thought that this would be ok. J

De Marcus 14:36 19 Jun 05

It should be ok, have you tried restarting with the disk in the drive and booting from it, rather than putting it in whilst 2000 is up and running?

VoG II 14:38 19 Jun 05
  wky 14:56 19 Jun 05

correct me if i'm wrong but, I don't think xp will have all the necessary drivers for the hardware. Maybe they can be obtained from the net, but too much of a hassle imo.

De Marcus 14:57 19 Jun 05

XP is basically the same as 2000 so there shouldn't be any install isuues that can't be sorted out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…