formatting hd with xp

fire 18:35 14 Feb 03

i recently upgraded from win 98 to xp and changed file system to ntfs, i have today tried to then install win xp pro edition and halfway through got a fatal error, the machine will now only boot to xp pro and this error and i cant do anything else. ive tried the win xp disc(home edition) to try and get a boor disk but i really am stuck as i need desperately to format the hard drive....any help please....thanks

Rayuk 18:44 14 Feb 03

Can you boot from the XPPro cdrom,if so just follow instructions then format then reinstal XPPro.

AL D. 19:34 14 Feb 03

have you done a compatability test with all your hardware drivers? before you tried instaling xp

AndySD 19:53 14 Feb 03

Boot with the XP cd and choose the Recovery console.

At the command Prompt type in

format c:

and hit enter.

Then reload windows.

fire 20:37 14 Feb 03

i cant boot from the xp cd it just goes straight to xp pro and the fault i get no other options even though the xp home cd is in cdrom, therefore i cant get to a command prompt, there must be another way around this....help...help

AndySD 20:48 14 Feb 03

Dont panic

What make is your hard drive. If you dont know them go into the BIOS while booting the PC (Tap on Delete when you turn the PC ON)

AndySD 20:55 14 Feb 03

Try going click here and download the set up disk program for XP Pro you will need 6 floppy disks.

Place the first in the PC and boot with it...it will ask for the rest in turn. Choose Setup and you will be asked which partition to load it to....choose the option to format the partition and then load XP. You may need to set the option of First boot Device to floppy in the bios...but try it first.

Rayuk 21:00 14 Feb 03

Have you got it setup in the bios to boot from cdrom first??

fire 21:18 14 Feb 03

in them bios its set to boot from floppy but by preesing f8 on start up i can change the sequence, the thing is ive a laptop running xp and did a start up floppy disk and tried that on th eother machine but got a message 'invalid disk'... ????

Rayuk 21:21 14 Feb 03

Change the sequence in the bios to cdrom/ide0/floppy then try with your winxp cdrom

AndySD 21:29 14 Feb 03

The start up floppy disk from the other XP pc is not the same as the setup disks with XP (as it was with 98)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…